Funded partly by the Rural Development Programme for England, and commissioned by the South West Regional Development Agency under the Sustainable Rural Tourism theme, the Country Sports Project is a three year project running until June 2013.
The objective of the project is to ensure that the South West region, which is renowned for its unique landscape and countryside, becomes the premier tourism destination for country sports and supplies of local game.
To do this we are looking to develop the full potential of the region's country sports market and its related supporting industries by:
- Helping agricultural and rural businesses develop and improve shooting and angling infrastructure and facilities.
- Continuing the development of the Westcountry Angling Passport and BASC’s Game’s on (promotion of game).
- Promoting activities to visitors and linking with accommodation providers to ensure appropriate sustainable and quality facilities with excellent customer service is provided.
- Developing websites and marketing campaigns linked with other agencies and organisations.
- Running a PR campaign, newsletters, presentations and attendance at events.
- Providing taster days for visitors to introduce them to the sports and food products.
- Linking with other businesses to provide a package for visitors which are all encompassing to suit their needs. This includes a range countryside sports but will include existing activities such cycling, walking and water sports etc.
- Working with businesses, including food processors and restaurants, to increase the uptake of local game and fish foods.
- Working with the community to educate and develop active participation in the countryside.
- Being the centre of expertise for countryside sports.
||How can Businesses get involved?
- If a business is considering developments into the country sports area, we can provide advice on setting up a shoot, angling, or any other countryside activity such as guiding services, deer stalking, equine/hunting, wildfowling and photographic opportunities etc.
- Any rural tourism business in the South West can link with the activities by taking up the marketing opportunities and using the websites to add value to their own marketing and product.
- Assistance to help farms accurately assess and justify diversification into the country sports areas.
- A tourism expert can advise on their business development ensuring their product matches the expectations of the country sports visitor.
- We hold a database of suppliers, processors and food services that incorporate game and fish into their business and offer a supplier matching service for those wishing to develop into these areas.
- Other services include access to specialist training, networking, case studies of best practice and visits to demonstration sites.
All Angling enquires initially to Toby Russell (WRT):
Direct Dial: 01579 372145
Mob: 07970 996790
All Tourism and Shooting enquiries initially to Annette Cole (BASC):
Direct Dial: 01823 480938
Mob: 07584 648141