The scheme is a sheer delight for the roving angler as it is operated through a unique token payment system. This allows anglers to access any of the participating fisheries when they want and without the need to contact anyone beforehand.
There is a vast choice of fishing on offer through the scheme; from the rushing moorland streams with wily, pocket-sized brown trout to the languid, meandering lowland streams with good mayfly hatches and their large brown trout; short spate rivers containing good runs of peal and the secluded farm lakes with their trout, carp and tench.
Westcountry Angling Passport tokens cost £2.50 each and are supplied in books of 5 or 10 (£12.50 or £25.00). The tokens are valid for any beat but can only be used once. Beats are rated according to their quality, ease of fishing and species of fish and cost between 2 and 5 tokens. Tokens expire on 31st December each year, and please note we cannot give refunds for unused tokens or exchange for the following year.
5 steps to get you fishing...
1) Using this website, or your Token Fishery Guide select which beat you would like to fish and, using the directions in your Guide, travel to the beat parking area.
2) The tokens come in three parts – before you start fishing – fill in the right hand part of the token and post the required number of tokens in the token box at the beat. The locations of the token boxes are detailed on the maps provided.
3) Get fishing....tight lines!
4) When you have finished fishing - complete a catch return - fill in the middle part of the token with catch details (and any other comments) and post in the token box at the beat
5) The last part of the token is for your records
It is a requirement of using the Passport scheme that you submit a catch return and post it in the token box as this data is essential for monitoring the health of these rivers and provides useful information for other anglers. The fishery owners and Trust staff carry out checks to ensure your fishing is not disturbed by others abusing the scheme.
Buying your Westcountry Angling Passport tokens